Investor Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Tax questions

Can you help me identify the acquisition or disposition cost of my security?

CST does not maintain this information except under the following specific circumstances:

  • You are asking about a security purchase price under a dividend reinvestment plan (DRP) for which CST is the plan administrator.  A list of plans that we administer is available for viewing.  Purchase prices are available on your dividend reinvestment plan (DRP) statements, or on AnswerLine, CST’s web-based inquiry service.
  • You are asking about a security purchase under an employee stock plan (ESP) for which CST is the plan administrator.
  • Shares acquired as a result of the demutualization for either Sun Life Financial Inc. or Manulife Financial Corporation, have an "acquisition cost" of zero.

How do I get a replacement tax slip?

Contact CST using our secure investor inquiry form. Please specify your name and address and the company in which you are an investor. We will respond to your request within five business days.  Replacement tax slips display the word ‘Duplicate’ at the top of the slip.

May I get a replacement tax slip for a previous year?

Yes, but please note tax slips for previous years are issued in the current tax slip format.

How long does it take to receive a replacement?

If you contact our call centre, our service standard for responses is five business days. If you contact us in writing, either by postal service or e-mail, our service standard for responses is ten business days.

I have received more than one tax slip for the same issuer with different information. Which is correct?

From time to time, it is necessary to reissue tax slips with different information.  In such cases, updated tax slips replace the original version.

When CST issues a updated tax slip, the word "Amended" is placed at the top of the slip. You should use the amended slip when completing your tax return. Please make sure to destroy  the original tax slip.

If you have two tax slips with different information, and neither contains the word "Amended", you have two different holdings in the same security.  CST can consolidate these holdings if they are registered in the name of the same person. Please contact us for more information about consolidating your holdings.

There is incorrect information on the tax slip issued.  How can I get this fixed?

Contact CST using our secure investor inquiry form, specifying the nature of the problem. Please also include your name, address, and the company for which you are an investor. We will respond within five business days. Please note that is not necessary for tax slips to have your current address.

What is the difference between "eligible" dividends and "dividends other than eligible" dividends?

An eligible dividend is any taxable dividend paid after 2005 to a resident of Canada by a Canadian corporation that is designated by that corporation to be an eligible dividend.

Eligible dividends use gross-ups as follows:

  • As of January 1, 2010:  44 per cent and a dividend tax credit of 17.9722 per cent.
  • As of January 1, 2011:  41 per cent and a dividend tax credit of 16.4326 per cent.
  • As of January 1, 2012:  38 per cent and a dividend tax credit of 15.0217 per cent.

Dividends other than eligible dividends use a gross-up of 25 per cent and a dividend tax credit of 13.3333 per cent.

For more on eligible dividends please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.

Who determines whether a dividend is "eligible" or a "dividend other than eligible"?

The corporation paying the dividend makes this determination. 

What differences apply to Quebec tax reporting for eligible dividends?

The Quebec dividend tax credit is equal to the actual amount of dividends multiplied by the percentage factor. The federal dividend tax credit is equal to the taxable amount of dividends multiplied by the percentage factor.  Please note also that Québec uses the term "ordinary dividend" to represent dividends other than eligible dividends.

Can I get a Québec tax slip in English?

No, Québec tax slips are only available in French. English explanations of tax slips are available at the Ministère du Revenu website

How do I learn more about Canadian or U.S. tax rules?

For information about Canadian tax filing and guides, please visit the CRA website at

For information about Québec tax filing and guides, please visit

For information on U.S. tax reporting, please visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website at

I have questions that are not answered here, where can I find an answer?

Please contact CST investor services for more information. Please note however, that we cannot give tax advice; you should contact your financial advisor.

Registering for AnswerLine

What can I do with AnswerLine?

You can use AnswerLine to view transactions on accounts linked to your profile. After you register for the service, you will be able to:

  • View your account balances and transaction history
  • View your dividend payment or reinvestment history
  • Check the status of a dividend payment
  • View details of both certificated and non-certificated positions
  • Obtain the last available market value of your holdings
  • Access forms to update your account information

What do I need to access my account online?

You will need:

How do I register to access AnswerLine?

Enter your information into the registration form. (Note: this process will take approximately 10 minutes.) Once we validate your application, you will receive an e-mail (usually on the next business day) confirming that your access is available. 

Note: In some cases, you will also be asked to sign and return a form prior to confirmation of your online access.

If you need help during this process, please call 1-877-795-2729 or 416-643-5010 between 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. ET, Monday to Friday.

What is the difference between my password and my security word?

The password, used with your Investor ID, enables you to log into the system. The security word is a word that you choose, which we rely on to identify you when certain services are performed.

What is the security word used for?

The security word is used to identify you to AnswerLine telephone support staff.  For example, you might be asked for your security word if you call to have your password reset or add accounts to your investor ID.

How do I select a security word?

You should select a security word that only you would know and that is easy to remember.  For example, you might use a preferred food, sport, vacation destination, author, historical figure or some other word that is unforgettable for you, but extremely difficult for other people to guess.

How do I find my shareholder/security holder account number?

Your nine digit account number is displayed on your certificate (the number directly above your name), dividend cheque or dividend reinvestment statement. It is referred to as your "Security Holder Account" on your cheque or statement.

How do I determine what account type I have for each account? 

  • Individual - If you are the only person on the account, the account type would be "individual".
  • Joint (including "joint in trust") - If you hold shares jointly with another person on a single account (e.g. "John and Mary Smith), the account type is "joint".
  • Individual in trust - If the shares in the account are held in trust by you alone for another person (John Smith in trust for Annette Smith), the account type would be "individual in trust".
  • Other - if you are not sure, or not described above

How can I access more than one account with a single ID and password?

You can access any accounts you have with us through a single ID and password. When you register for AnswerLine, simply indicate all the accounts you want to access. If you open other accounts in the future, or discover an account you overlooked, you can:

You can also remove access to certain accounts by sending us an AnswerLine information change form. If you have questions, please call AnswerLine at 1-877-795-2729 or 416-643-5010 between 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. ET, Monday to Friday.

Why must joint investors sign a form to receive access?

All investors named in a joint registration must provide written approval for this request to ensure authorized access.

What are the signing requirements for "other" investors?

For your security, we must confirm that access to information is properly authorized.  Authorization requirements depend on the kind of registration. 

To determine your specific requirements, please call 1-877-795-2729 or 416-643-5010 between 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. ET, Monday to Friday.

How long does it take for you to approve my request for an AnswerLine investor ID?

If you request access to information about shareholdings that are registered to an individual (in your name alone), we will generally process your request within one business day.

If you request access to information about shareholdings registered in more than one name or in the name of an entity such as a corporation, we need consent in writing from all the registered holders. (The online registration process will automatically generate this form when required). We will generally process these requests within one day of receiving the signed, written consents.

How do I contact CST if I have questions?

Contact us online or call us at 1-877-795-2729 or 416-643-5010 between 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. ET, Monday to Friday.

You can also write to us at:

CST AnswerLine
P.O. Box 700
Station B
Montreal, QC H3B 3K3

Please note that if you contact us online, an immediate response is not always possible. For this reason, if your request is of an urgent nature, please contact us by phone.

For more information on our privacy policy, including who to contact if you have questions about our use of your personal information, read our privacy statement.

Problems accessing AnswerLine

What happens if I forget my password?

If you know your security word, you can reset your password online.

You can also have your password reset by calling 1-877-795-2729 or 416-643-5010 between 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. ET, Monday to Friday.

I keyed in the wrong password several times and now I can't get into AnswerLine. What should I do?

For your protection, we limit the number of login attempts. If you are locked out, you can reset your password online, or call 1-877-795-2729 or 416- 643-5010 between 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. ET, Monday to Friday.

What are the requirements for an Investor ID and password?

Both your Investor ID and your password must be eight to 15 characters. For your password, at least one of these characters must also be a number.

What happens if I forget my investor ID or security word?

Call us at 1-877-795-2729 or 416-643-5010 between 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. ET, Monday to Friday.

How can I change my investor ID?

To change your Investor ID, you will need to re-register for AnswerLine.  Please contact us to cancel your existing Investor ID.

How can I get AnswerLine to "remember" my Investor ID?

By checking the "Remember my ID" box on the AnswerLine signin screen, your computer will automatically insert your Investor ID the next time you log on.  This feature is available only if you enable your browser to use "cookies".

Why do I get an error message saying that I have insufficient encryption?

If you receive this message, it means that you are not using a 128-bit encrypted browser. To use AnswerLine, you must use a browser with sufficient encryption levels. Browser upgrades can be downloaded at no charge from Microsoft®.

Keeping your information secure 

Is AnswerLine secure?

AnswerLine access requires a 128-bit encryption key, which is the strongest, most secure form of encryption that is generally available in Internet browsers.

How is access to my information kept secure?

Once you register for AnswerLine, you can only access to your accounts by logging in with your Investor ID and password.

The security word is used to identify yourself to AnswerLine telephone support staff or to make a change to the information you have provided. Keeping your Investor ID, password and security word confidential ensures that your investor information is protected.

What can I do to make sure that no one can view my financial information?

Maintain a copy of your password, Investor ID, and security word in a secure place.

No one at CST will ever ask you for your password.  We will only ask for your security word when we need to identify you.

When you are finished using AnswerLine, always log out before closing your browser.

Are e-mail messages I send to CST secure?

Messages you send to us by regular e-mail are not encrypted.   Please use our secure online form.

CST will not be responsible for any damages you may incur if you communicate confidential information to us through e-mail.

Is my password secure when it is "remembered" by my computer?

Some browsers offer to memorize passwords for you. If you share a computer or are concerned that others may gain access to your computer, you may wish to disable this feature.

Dividend Reinvestment 

How does a dividend reinvestment plan work?

A dividend reinvestment plan is an easy way for you to increase your holdings in an issuer's stock by using your dividend payments to buy additional shares of the company, sometimes at a discounted rate.

Depending on the plan, you can also contribute cash to buy additional shares.

Statements are sent periodically to show transactions and holdings. You can withdraw your shares from the plan at any time.

How do I sign up to participate in a dividend reinvestment plan?

Please check the dividend reinvestment section of our website for plan information and enrolment forms. You must be a registered shareholder to join an issuer's plan.

How do I become a registered shareholder?

You must acquire one or more shares through a financial intermediary such as a brokerage. 

How can I withdraw shares from a dividend reinvestment plan?

To withdraw shares from your dividend reinvestment plan, please use the withdrawal form attached to your statement.  Send the completed form to the address listed at the top of the statement.

You can also withdraw shares by sending a  written request to CST. Please include your account number, and your name and address for verification purposes.

You can withdraw as many of your shares as you wish, while continuing your participation in the plan.

How do I end my participation in a dividend reinvestment plan?

To end your participation in a plan, please use the withdrawal form attached to your statement.  Send the completed form to the address listed at the top of the statement.

You can also end participation in the plan by sending a written request to CST. Please include your account number, and your name and address for verification purposes.

We will mail you a share certificate, and a cheque for any fractional shares held.

How do I make a cash contribution to my dividend reinvestment plan?

If you participate in a plan that permits optional cash payments, you can either attach a cheque to the contribution form found on the tear off portion of your statement, or send your cheque with a covering letter to CST.

Your funds will be applied to purchase additional shares on the next purchase date.  [Note:  Most plans also have minimum and maximum payment restrictions that are identified on your reinvestment statement.]

If you wish to make an optional cash contribution, anti-money laundering regulations require that you file a participant declaration form, with a cheque drawn from your personal bank account.  [Note:  the cheque must be drawn from a Canadian financial institution.] 

What methods of payment can be used for cash contributions?

Once you have filed a participant declaration form, and provided a personal cheque drawn from a Canadian financial institution, you can use any of the following methods for payment:

  • Personal cheque (in the name of the shareholder)
  • Bank draft
  • Money order 

How do I find out the adjusted cost base (ACB) of my dividend reinvestment holdings?

CST's AnswerLine service has history of purchase prices, purchase dates and purchase amounts for investments made through dividend reinvestment plans.  Follow this link to register for, or access  AnswerLine.

You can also find this information on the statements that we send you periodically.

How do I change dividend or interest disbursement instructions?

Disbursement information can be changed by contacting us with the details of your changes.  Please include your account number, name and address.

If you are requesting electronic payment of dividends, please download and complete our electronic payment of dividends form.

Consolidating Mailing Material

I receive more than one set of mailings for the same issuer. Can I combine them?

Yes, if both positions are registered in exactly the same way. Contact us with your account details and we can consolidate them into a single account. From that point forward, you will receive only one mailing.

If the names on both accounts are registered differently (e.g. John H Smith vs John Harold Smith), you must re-register your shares to consolidate your accounts. Please contact us for instructions.

Is it possible to consolidate accounts for different shareholders in the same household?

No, because security regulations require that every shareholder, even those living at the same residence, receive their own materials.

Investor Service 

How do I transfer securities?

There are many different kinds of securities transfers.  Please refer to the securities transfer section of our website for more information.

Can CST sell my securities?

CST does not handle securities sales. If you need assistance with such a transaction, we suggest you contact a stock broker or investment dealer.

How can I find out how much my securities are worth?

You can find pricing information on various financial websites, or through CST's web based AnswerLine service.

I want to split my share certificate into a number of smaller certificates. How do I do this?

Please provide us with instructions in writing, stating the denominations you wish to receive and enclose the certificate you wish split. You must sign the letter exactly the same way as the shares are registered on your certificate.

You do not have to sign the share certificate unless you are also changing the registration.

I recently changed my name. How do I change my share certificate and/or dividend reinvestment account?

You can change your name on your share certificates by providing us with written instructions, signed with your previous name.  Please attach either original or certified copies of the pertinent documentation (e.g., marriage certificates, court order, etc.) and your share certificates.  If applicable, please indicate whether you are a participant in the issuer's dividend reinvestment plan.

Please also indicate whether you would like your original documents returned.

I want to transfer my shares to another person. How can I do this?

Please refer to the securities transfer section of our website for detailed information on transferring securities.

My shares are registered incorrectly.  How can I fix this?

Please refer to the securities transfer section of our website for  information on re-registering securities.

I am the executor of an estate.  How can I transfer shares to the estate's beneficiaries?

There are many different types of estate transfers.  Please refer to the Securities Canadian Stock Transfer section of our website to determine the process that applies to your particular situation.

I recently changed my mailing/e-mail address. How do I change my mailing/e-mail address on your records?

You can advise us of your new mailing address  or  e-mail address by using our online forms.

On statements and other correspondence, why would you ask for my Social Insurance Number/Social Security Number?

This number is required by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and/or the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  It is used for tax slips issued to shareholders and for government tax reporting. It is not used for any other purpose.  Learn more about CST's privacy policy.

Please use our secure investor inquiry form to submit this information.

How can I replace a disbursement cheque/dividend reinvestment statement/tax slip?

Please contact us with your requirements.

I have a question you don't address here.  How can I get an answer?

Please contact us using our investor inquiry form.  We will respond within five business days.

If the matter is urgent, you can contact us by phone at 1-800-387-0825 from Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. ET.

Lost Certificates 

My certificate(s) was  lost/destroyed/stolen. Can I get a replacement?  How long does it take?

Please refer to the replace lost securities page of our website for instructions on replacing a lost, stolen or destroyed certificate.

Replacing a certificate is a process that can take approximately eight to 10 weeks to complete.

Securities Transfer 

How do I complete the securities transfer form?

To complete the form you need to:

  • Fill in the name(s) and address(es) of the person(s) to whom the securities are being transferred
  • Provide a description of the securities being transferred. The description includes the number of securities and the type of securities, e.g. common, preferred, etc. based on the description on the certificate.
  • Fill in the name of the current registered holder(s) exactly as it appears on the certificate.
  • Fill in the name of the company that issued the securities
    Fill in the number(s) on the certificate(s) or the account number on the share ownership statement.
  • Sign and date the form(transfers cannot be post-dated).

* In some cases, instead of a certificate you might have a share ownership statement and the information you need appears on that form.

How do I sign the form?

Each person whose name appears on the certificate or share ownership statement must sign the securities transfer form.

Their signature must replicate their name exactly as it appears on the certificate. For example, transfers of securities registered J.S. Brown must be signed J.S. Brown, transfers of securities registered John S. Brown must be signed John S. Brown. 

What is a signature guarantee?

A signature guarantee is required when transferring securities so that the transfer agent can confirm your identity. The signature guarantee is given by a financial services company and assures the transfer agent that the person(s) signing the transfer is (are) the registered holder(s) named on the certificate.

Every signature on the securities transfer form must be signature guaranteed.

Where can I get the signatures guaranteed?

We recommend obtaining a signature guarantee from a stock broker or a  financial services company that uses a medallion guarantee. The next best source for signature guarantees is a major chartered bank but some banks may not be prepared to guarantee signatures. In addition it can sometimes be difficult for transfer agents to verify the bank signing officer's signature.

According to established industry practice, transfer agents accept  signature guarantees from:

  • Members of a recognized medallion guarantee program:

    1. Securities Canadian Stock Transfer Agents Medallion Program (STAMP)
    2. Stock Exchanges Medallion Program (SEMP)
    3. New York Stock Exchange, Inc Medallion Signature Program (MSP)
  • Major Canadian Schedule I Chartered Banks
  • Major Canadian trust companies

Where do I send the securities for transfer?

Please send the securities and any supporting documents by a secure means of delivery through registered mail or another reputable courier, with acknowledgement of receipt requested.

Depending on the service you use, you may be able to insure the contents. CST assumes no responsibility for certificates that are lost in transit.

Alternatively, you can deliver the securities in person to the courier address below.

By mail

Canadian Stock Transfer Company Inc.
P.O. Box 700, Station B
Montreal, QC   H3B 3K3

By courier

Canadian Stock Transfer Company Inc. 
2001 University Street
Suite 1600
Montreal, QC  H3A 2A6

If you have any questions, please contact us.

How can I tell who the transfer agent is?

The transfer agent is the company appointed by the issuer to keep records of all security holders and to transfer ownership of securities. To determine the transfer agent of a security, first check the securities certificate. You can also check the issuing company's annual report or website.

CST is Canadian transfer agent for more than 500 companies.

What do I have to do to transfer securities?

To initiate a transfer of securities, the owner, their personal representative or agent (such as a lawyer or broker) must send the securities and certain legal documents to the transfer agent requesting the transfer.

The legal documents vary depending on the nature of the parties to the transfer - it may be the owner themselves or someone acting on their behalf, e.g. under a will.

This section of our website provides more information about the various types of transfers and documents required to transfer shares.

Why is it complicated to transfer securities?

Transferring securities can be complex.  However, our website provides comprehensive information and direction on the steps needed to transfer securities.

There are three main factors to consider:

  • Value of the security - There is usually no limit to the potential value of a security. Therefore securities with a nominal value at the time of transfer can substantially increase in value over time.
  • Relationship with the investor - The issuer and transfer agent have no long-term relationship with the person requesting the transfer. As a result, they need a way to confirm quickly that they are dealing with the appropriate person to protect themselves against a later challenge of the transfer.
  • Strict requirements - Securities transfer laws contain protections for people buying securities, which must be offset by strict transfer requirements.

Consequently, specific practices and documents unique to transferring securities have been developed and are used by all transfer agents. In particular, you should note the requirement for signature guarantees on all transfers. Canadian Stock Transfer agents cannot process transfers without signature guarantees.

What types of transfers are covered on this website?

Our website provides information about four types of transfers under Canadian law:

  • Basic transfer - transfers of securities from one or more individuals to one or more other individuals or entities.
  • Estate transfers - transfers of securities belonging to a person who is deceased.
  • Corporate transfers - transfers of securities held in the name of a corporation.
  • Trust transfers - transfers of securities held in the name of trustees.
This link will leave the CST site.
Do you wish to continue?